Firstiyanti, Aulia Haris
Unknown Affiliation

Published : 2 Documents Claim Missing Document
Claim Missing Document

Found 2 Documents

Journal of Language and Literature Vol 3, No 2 (2015)
Publisher : Universitas Gunadarma

Show Abstract | Download Original | Original Source | Check in Google Scholar | Full PDF (325.712 KB)


This is a descriptive qualitative research on how English copular clauses in a gothic science fiction novel are translated into Indonesian. The first problem of this research is what kinds of English copular clauses are used by the author, and the second is what kinds of Indonesian clauses are employed in translating them into Indonesian. The researcher chooses the topic since there are no formal correspondence of English copular clauses in Indonesian. The objectives of this research are to classify the English copular clauses used by the author in composing this novel and to identify the kinds of Indonesian clauses employed by the translator. The data are taken from a gothic science fiction novel entitled Frankenstein and its translation. The findings of this research show that, firstly, the predicational clause is the one which is dominantly used by the author to compose this science fiction novel; the precentage of predicational clause is 66%. The second finding is that the translator used two categories of Indonesian clause based on the category of word or phrase which is contributed as predicate to translate English copular clauses. The two categories of Indonesian clauses are noun clause and verb clause; the precentage of noun clause is 10%; on the other hand, the precentage of verb clause is 90%.Keywords: Translation, Indonesian clauses, English copular clause  
An Annotated Translation of Bicycle Shop Murder Firstiyanti, Aulia Haris
LADU: Journal of Languages and Education Vol 1, No 3 (2021): LADU: Journal of Languages and Education Vol 1 No 3 March 2021
Publisher : CV. Mitra Palupi

Show Abstract | Download Original | Original Source | Check in Google Scholar


Background: This research article is focusing on annotated translation to describe and give plausible reasons in solving the translation problems.Purpose: The purposes of this study are: (1) to attain information concerning the difficulties faced by the researcher while translating the source text, and (2) to give plausible translation reasons to the difficulties.Design and methods: Introspective and retrospective methods are employed to explore the plausible translation on Bicycle Shop Murder novel. Data findings are validated using translation strategies by Chesterman.Results: As the researcher tries to figure out problems during the process of translation by giving annotation for each data, it shows that from the 30 data chosen to be analyzed, there are: two (2) literal translation, two (2) loan, two (2) calque, two (2) transposition, two (2) clause structure change, two (2) phrase structure change, two (2) synonymy, two (2) antonymy, four (4) distribution change consisting of two (2) compression and two (2) expansion, two (2) paraphrase, two (2) naturalization, two (2) coherence change, two (2) explicitness change from implicit into explicit, and two (2) interpersonal change used to solve these problems.